I went from shock to having a very heavy heart.
Joshua came from an extremely unstable home - complete with domestic violence - among other things. He was always after attention - even if it meant/especially if it meant -negative attention. I did my best to hug him often, and encourage him in the things he did well. He was a very smart boy. He did well academically. He had beautiful penmanship. He was very athletic. He had so much potential to overcome his circumstances - to do something positive with his life!
Yet, out of his need for approval and affection, he decided to join a gang.
My heart aches for him, because I know that he lacks the one thing that would give him identity and purpose - a relationship with Jesus. He's trying to fill the gaping hole in is life with everything but Jesus.
I was catching up with my New Testament reading yesterday (before I had heard about this) and read the passage from Matthew 25 that says, "For I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."
As I was reading this yesterday, I remember thinking specifically about that statement. That's one thing I have never done . . . visit someone in prison.
Then I got the phone call.
Now I have someone to visit. I don't know what I'll say when I get there.
Sometimes God is subtle, sometimes not . . .
3 comments:
Sonny, My heart goes out to you. We always hope for the best for our students! You are so right -- God speaks to us in so many ways. Sometimes it's just a whisper, others times it's in a storm. I'll be praying for you. Let us know when you go so we can be in prayer for you. Love ya! Dawn
p.s. the Lydia K quoted in the article...that's my cousin who lived with me :)
That is really sad. I am not sure if you have ever heard this story about Jim Bakker, but it is one of my favorites:
When he came to visit me I had the flu. I looked like a man who had slept under a bridge. My hair was a mess and I had my old toilet-cleaning clothes on. My toes were sticking out of my shoes. I had just finished cleaning the toilets, and the guards came to get me. One of the guards led me across the compound, and I thought he was taking me to the lieutenant's office. But then they said, "Didn't they tell you. Billy Graham is here to see you." So I walked into the room and he had his arms outstretched and he embraced me and told me he loved me. He said, "If anyone ever needed a friend, right now that is you." Jim Bakker stated he was at the lowest point in his life, and Billy Graham came without judgement and condemnation, just love.
I have alwyas loved that story and know God's love will shine through you, too. Keep us updated on the day you are going so we all can pray with you.
Sonny--I hardly watch T.V. but for some reason had it on yesterday around news time and saw your student's picture come up. I took the time to look at it b/c I, too, had students that I often wonder about, and think about which path they chose to take based on behavior and family situations. I commend you for being willing to visit him, when the opportunity arises. It may mean the difference between knowing Jesus and not.
--Christy W.
Post a Comment