Monday, April 23, 2007

In Sickness and In Health


Can I just say that I have THE best husband in the whole world! I know some of you may bulk at that . . . but I know it's true!

The last 11 days, I've been in the worst health I can remember . . . read my last entry for details. I've been unable to do ANYTHING, and if you know me at all, you know that's not good. I'm a mover and a shaker . . . maybe too much of one. This last week and a half has showed me the value of slowing down. Although I haven't had the energy to take care of and play with my kids, I now appreciate more than ever, how important it is to take that time. Nothing's more important than the time we spend with our families. When I'm better (hopefully, someday) I will make the time necessary to truly enjoy my kids and my husband each and every day!

Anyways . . . more about Mike. He has stayed home from work (or worked remotely from home) much of last week. He's cooked and cleaned, bathed the kids, tucked them in almost every night . . . he's taken over most all of my weekly responsibilities in addition to his own. He's been a servant. He has given and gotten nothing in return.

In my daily devotions I read John 13 today (yes accountability girls, I may be sick, but I'm keeping up on my reading!) and verses 34 and 35 say, "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

The footnote in my Bible says, "Love is more than simply warm feelings; it is an attitude that reveals itself in action. How can we love others as Jesus loves us? By helping when it's not convenient, by giving when it hurts, by devoting energy to others' welfare rather than our own, by absorbing hurts from others without complaining or fighting back."

Mike has loved me with this kind of love - agape love - unconditional love - and for that I am sooooooo thankful. He has been Jesus to me this week.

Kind of funny, this week Mike said kiddingly, "Boy I wish I hadn't taken that whole 'in sickness and health' so seriously - this is hard work!" Boy am I grateful he did take those vows seriously! I would be lost without him!

I love you Michael! You are my hero - my knight in shining armor!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Boo to sickness. Yeah to helpful husbands.

We have a running joke in our family about who is the "ROCK" - the person who seems to avoid any & all illnesses that run rampant through the rest of the family. I try to proudly carry that title until something knocks me flat!

Feel better soon.

Triplet Mom said...

Brad is totally the sickless "Rock." I am the sickest person ever - we joke! Although I get sick often, I am always glad it's not something more serious!