Tuesday, July 24, 2007

B-D-J-T a four letter word!


Budget!

Doesn't the word just make you cringe a little bit?

I know it's a strange time of the year to get around to budgeting - but we did it. We are officially on the Dave Ramsey cash budget (again). Yes, we tried it before, and it worked swimmingly - everything but having to get the cash every week. We slowly eased out of it . . . and now decided to whip ourselves back into shape.

I know it's a necessary evil . . . but wouldn't it be nicer if we could just buy what we want when we want? I'm not talking extravagant purchaces . . . just everyday stuff.

This, however, is how my Meijer grocery bill ends up closer to $200 than our budgeted $100 each week. I see a cute shirt on clearance, or a little something that would look perfect in the bathroom, or a pair of cutey shoes for the girls, or hair thingies . . . which are pretty pricey! It's also how a visit to Target ends up in me shelling out $100.

The B-D-J-T!*%$#, however will stop me from doing that. There's an allotted amount for groceries, hair/make-up, clothing, entertainment etc., and when it's gone, it's gone. Although there is some freedom within boundries, it can also feel a bit constrictive (especially at Target or Old Navy or Maurices).

Anyone else do the cash thing? Or are you all on the buy what we want when we want plan? With good ole Christian Ed now in the picture, we have to be a bit more disciplined. But why does discipline take so much work?

I'm already schemeing ways to save a bit of money in a few areas, so I can pad my clothing account a bit more . . . hmmmmm, broccoli? or a new shirt? Look for me in the clearance aisle come school shopping time!

9 comments:

Dana said...

We live on cash, except that I found the whole envelope thing too restrictive and bucked the system a bit. In the end, I simply combined all my envelopes into one. It's still the same thing--I run out of money, I'm all done--but I feel like I can spend more or less in different areas depending on the unique needs of our family that month.

And yes, there have been months when a haircut gets pushed into the next month or we had egg sandwiches for dinner a couple more times that we would have. But in general, it works for us.

Michelle said...

I don't find it strange, his time of year is ALWAYS my budget do over time.

My budget is a combo of yours and Dana's. I have this handy little program on my Mac (of course) that uses the envelope system of budgeting. cute little envelope icons for all your your budgeted areas. I use my debit card instead of cash (I hate cash) but keep track of the debits from and weekly allocations to each envelope on my Mac. It's kind of fun.

Can you say Nerd?

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how Michelle is always trying to convince everyone to buy a mac.....it's not in the budget....I hate budgets. I have yet to figure out a good one for me. I can't do cash, I spend it. Debt it too easy for me to get carried away with......checks, well that is old fashion.... Eventually I will figure it out.

Triplet Mom said...

I'm on a budget now too. I used to like being DINKs. With diapers, formula, kid food sucking us dry, and me not working - things have gotten a little tight!

In a few weeks we are done with formula and that will save us $120/mo.

I also have cancelled my home phone line and we just use cell phones now. (Saved $30/mo.)

Sonny Huisman said...

Chelle - I'm interested in the Mac budgeting program . . . did it come standard on your Mac? I can see that even budgeting could be fun if it's on your Mac.

Sara . . . a Mac should definately be in your budget! Well worth it!

Dana . . . you must have some level of discipline . . . cuz putting all my cash in one envelope would leave me high and dry in some area later on . . . although I do "rob Peter to pay Paul" if I'm running a little short in one area - or have a little extra in another.

Laurie said...

I don't budget. For this, and many other reasons, I got married. :)

Anonymous said...

maybe in a few years when i have a little extra cash, It hasn't rained money for me yet. :)

Unknown said...

I can't do the cash thing. I spilt the $ into different bank accounts according to how much I need for bills and savings, then the rest is for groceries, gas, clothes, entertainment, etc. When it's gone then we go hungry. Luckily that's never happened, but it's been close sometimes.

Like Stacy I can't wait until I can stop buying formula. And then there's the diapers... I been buying those for the past 5.5 years.

Michelle said...

Sonny, I'll email you a link to the Made for Mac Budget Application

:)