Mike and I decided that we were going to give our kitchen a little face lift. We always get the bug at this time of year to upgrade something in our house. Last year we re-did the girls' bathroom . . . the two years prior were spent on basement projects . . . this year - the kitchen.
It all started with me ripping the wall paper off. Now, I only had a border and wall paper at the wainscoting height . . . but still, what was I thinking? I've decided - no more wallpaper - ever. After the wall paper was off, I decided to paint . . . and then Mike thought we should do countertops and tile backsplash. Changing the countertops meant I had to re-cover our kitchen chairs. And, as long as I was buying material for that, I decided to make valances as well (and - no - not the poof valances that you stuff with tissue paper - remember those?). It was fast and furious, but in less than three weeks, it's all done - just in time for the Thanksgiving Day celebration at our house Thursday. I'll post pictures of the finished project soon.
On a completely other note . . . I need to get on a soap box - just for a minute.
It started last week when a strange car pulled up to my house. I knew it was a solicitor, so I met them out on the sidewalk instead of letting them in my house. A young twenty-something kid came up to do a "survey" on the environment:
1. Do you feel that air pollution is a problem in your area?
2. Do you think the air is fresher inside or outside of your home?
3. Does anyone in your family suffer from allergies?
Well that wasn't so bad, I thought to myself . . . and then he asked for my name and phone number . . . hmmmm. He said there was going to be a drawing for a $500 shopping spree, and it was tonight. Apparently they only give four of these "shopping sprees" away each year. Whatever, I thought . . . he doesn't have my address, so what's it going to hurt?
Well, amazingly enough, I was the $500 shopping spree winner. I received the call that very night. I was very skeptical at this point, and was a little rude while grilling the overly-sweet girl on the other end. She said the only "catch" was that I needed to sit through a 30 minute presentation on Rainbow Vaccuum Cleaners.
There's always a catch, but I thought $500 worth of goods that were "Kohl's, JC Penney's or Sear's-like" was worth a half hour of my time - especially with Christmas around the corner. So I scheduled our "30-minute" presentation . . .They were scheduled to come at 5:30p tonight . . . but showed up promtly at 5:08p - Sweet I thought - the sooner they'll be done, and we can get to dinner. Well the presentation lasted until 6:30p . . . and it was very well done. Mike and I were terribly grossed out by the filth in our carpets. We were convinced that we "needed" one, but knew we didn't have the $2100.00 to purchase one (especially after our kitchen upgrade). Can you believe it? $2100.00!!!!!
So what that it was and hour and a half of our time? I was going to get $500 of free merchandise!
As soon as dinner was done (at 7:00p) I hopped on-line to check out the cool products I could buy.
First of all - the items that were shown were completely stupid and junky - hardly Kohl's, JC Penney's or Sears-worthy, with about one millionth of the selection. There were about 8 categories including; home accents, sports and recreation, apparel, jewelry and watches, kids gifts, womens and mens gifts, kitchen items, electronics, travel etc . . . and anywhere from 4-7 items under each category (just like our local department stores - NOT!). But that's not the bad part . . . the worst of it is that I got the items "free" but had "only to pay for shipping and handling" which added up to anywhere between $5 and $20 per item - which is really what the items are probably really worth. Oh, and don't forget the $5 transaction fee . . .
So much for my little plan. I should know better to think that anything sold door to door would be above board. The only reason I did the presentation (that was supposed to be 30 minutes) is for the $500 I could use for Christmas shopping.
I'm so stupid.
So, if someone comes to your door for a "quick survey" - just shut the door!
16 comments:
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.
I'm with you Crescenet! maybe?...
sonny, i bet everyone got the "shopping spree". it's easy to fall into the trap. i remember spending a half day at a "resort" when i was a kid waiting for mom and dad to hear the pitch and claim their prizes. it was stuff so junky and worthless that it went right in the trash.
we're all a sucker for something for nothing!
blessings,
ty
NIce! Not only do I have to deal with stupid door to door salesmen . . . now I have to deal with stupid spammers on my blog - Sweet!
Waht the heck I thought you had a friend from France! LOL
Sorry your to good to be true $500 deal wasn't much of a deal. Wish you a happy holidays anyway!
We had the exact same thing happen a few months back with rainbow. They said a half hour & it was more like two! I was so mad cause I had a errand to run and the store was closing (which would have been fine if it was really a half hour deal). I actually told him I had to leave and when I got back he was STILL there! Poor Scott :)
And I don't know who would even want to spend the whole $500 gift certificate on that crap! I ended up throwing mine away without getting anything. I guess thats why they do it.
Scott and I were furious after the presentation . . . yet we still wished there was a way we could get one of their vacuums - hmmmm :)
We had that situation too! Same questions and everything....but sneaky me, gave them Brents cell instead of mine. They called every 4 minutes the first night and sporadically thruout the week. I was the sucker...not Brent, so he didnt answer.
I wondered about the shopping spree thing..now I know!
Cant wait to see the kitchen pix!
Happy Thanksgiving!
I made Brad go to a car dealership that said we won the same shopping spree (but like $1000). I got online and was so mad by the scam! At least I didn't have to hear a presentation. Brad may have though!
Josh and I went to a time share presentation, and got a BRIGHT YELLOW radio (we actually still have it).
No vacuum sales people, though. I never open my door during the day, much like I do not answer my phone for this very reason. I did take a gallon of ice cream from the Schwann's door to door guy the other day though!
The Rainbow Rules!
We have one. Yes, 9 years ago as newlyweds and no money we thought we couldn't live without it. Turns out to be the best vacuum. Never a prob, but it took a year to pay off.
Suckers? Oh yes.
Thank you for posting this about the cleaner! We just had the knock on the door last week and a phone call today saying we'd "won." I was very skeptical! Needless to say, after reading your experience, we will not be sitting through a demo :)
I must say the Rainbow rules!! Emily sold them (for about 1 week) and we managed to get a good deal. Now I traded it for a Kirby and regret it!! So, for what it's worth, I do have to say the Rainbow is a great machine! Marva
Sonny- did we somehow add a member to our family or group of friends? Crescenet has decided to comment on my blog as well.....it actually is the same stuff he left on yours......Scary stuff
Where are the pictures. Anxiously waiting.
still waiting
I want pictures!
Post a Comment