Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Program

Wow! We had our Christmas Program for church last night and it went flawlessly! Thank you God! And thanks to all of you who faithfully prayed for me over the last couple of weeks.

It has been extrodinarily stressful and overwhelming, and, to tell the truth, I've had a really cruddy attitude about it. I asked myself, "Why do I do this? The parents don't take it seriously and allow their kids to skip practicies. The upper el. kid (especially the boys) are less than thrilled. Kids forget their lines. The singing is less than stellar. . . " Coordinating about 150 kids, including preschoolers, lower el praise team, lower el as a whole, upper el praise team upper el as a whole AND adult choir, AND a skit was a bit daunting.

This past Saturday, I was freaked out at how bad practice went. I thought it would be a Christmas miracle if we pulled this off.

Well, that's what we got! The kids showed up (almost all of them on time), the upper el boys were coerced into at least mouthing the words, all the kids remembered their cues and their lines, and the singing was AWESOME! Many parents even said it was the best program ever! Wow!

I had a blast doing it last night. But afterward I began feeling guilty and repentant. I had had the WORST attitude about this program . . . and it turned out to be extrodinarily meaningful. I need to ask forgiveness for not keeping "the main thing the main thing"; for not trusting God to make it great (regardless of anything I did); for being annoyed with the kids etc. I am humbled that God allowed it to go so well despite my attitude.

So, for the time-being, I'm committing to doing it again next year . . . Hopefully I won't live to regret it!

5 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Thank you Sonny. It was great! You do an often thankless job, and it's hard to keep a positive attitude. God was still glorified! Now you can enjoy Christmas!

LCHS 2013 said...

I'm so glad it went well...wish I could've been there. I'm sure the kids did great - especially a certain little lamb (*ahem*, Faith)that I may be a bit biased towards. ;)

Nicole said...

Last night's program was great! way to go Sonny!

Michelle said...

The show was a hit last night. My in-laws shared how they thought our church always put on a good children's performance. Hat's off to you. Kid's seem to get serious about it once they are on stage in front of hundreds of people.

I was joking with several people about how we're gonna have to start camping out the night before to get good seats - that speaks to a good program. : )

Unknown said...

You did a great job!!! Thank You for your time and commitment to the kids and the program.