Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Growing Up is Hard to Do.

If any of you follow me on facebook you would have read my progressive updates on how night #1 of no thumbsucking was going. Let's just say it was rough.

She did fine the first hour, just a little whimpering here and there . . . but hour two, progressed into screaming, kicking, getting out of bed, begging for me to wash off the jalepeno etc.

At one point I went into her room, and I asked her where Rar was. (Rar is her beloved bear that she's had since she was born - it's like the velvetine rabbit - well loved - missing fur and half of an eye). She yelled out, "He's laying over there on the floor!!! I threw him over there cuz he kept making me want to suck my thumb!!!"

There was poor Rar, crumpled in a pile on the floor. Tossed aside. Forsaken.

Two minutes later she asked for him back. She finally succumbed to sleep at 9:58p.

I had to laugh at the interchange, but was just a little sad for Faith too. This whole growing up thing is tough stuff. Rar and her thumb have been her "go to guys" for her whole life. They've been her comfort when she's sad or hurt. They've been with her wherever she goes.

Last night, Rar and her Pooh blanket were intentionally left in the kitchen. She said she didn't want them. She fell asleep without them - and without her thumb.

She's growing up, folks. She's determined to be done with the thumbsucking and being "babyish". She's well on her way to that pair of earrings! Hopefully next week you'll see a picture of my grown up girl with earrings in her ears!


Funny little side note about last night:

After Faith was all tucked in and settled down for the night, I ran over to my mom's for a bit. When I got back and checked on her she was almost asleep, but stirred when I kissed her head.

She looked up at me and said, "Mom, did you hear about the incident?"

"What incident?" I asked.

"I don't think I can even explain what happened, Mom. It was bad."

"What happened? I was only gone for 20 minutes." said I.

"Well (pause) I got up to go to the bathroom, and I wiped my butt with my jalepeno hand . . . let's just say there was a little screaming that happened." said Faith.

"Oh NOO! That sounds miserable! What did you do?" I asked.

"I was too embarrassed to tell dad at first, but it was burning so bad that I ran and got him. He washed it off and put some burn cream on it. It feels much better now."

So for any of you considering the jalepeno method - NOTE TO SELF: Don't wipe butt with the jalepeno hand.

2 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

The jalapeno story is awesome! I love how Faith tells it!

LCHS 2013 said...

So grown up! I can't believe it! I'm so proud of her.
And ditto to Stacey's comment - that is pretty awesome. Painful, yes, but a great story in the end. I hope her bottom is feeling better now!