Sunday, April 29, 2007

Giving Thanks in ALL Circumstances!

Ok, I think we'd all agree that there are times in life when things are going good, and it's so easy to thank God for everything around you. And, believe me, I try not to take things for granted . . . I try to thank God everyday - even for the little things; for the sunshine, for healthy kids that can run around and play in the grass, for dandelions picked by two little girls before daddy mows them up, for a warm/cool safe house to live in, for our jobs, for a happy, wonderful marriage . . .

BUT, it's so much harder to give thanks when in the midst of cruddy, or less than ideal circumstances: when the car in front of you is moving too slow, or someone cuts you off, when you're out of work, when the furnace conks out, when you've had "one of those days" . . .

OR

WHEN YOU'VE BEEN SICK FOR OVER A MONTH AND NO-ONE KNOWS WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!

I'm beginning to lose my mind! I'm tired of being tired, I'm tired of not being able to do simple things like make lunch for my kids or fold laundry without feeling exhausted, I'm tired of feeling weak and shaky, of my heart racing in the 120's . . . the list of complaints and frustrations can go on and on . . .

But, I wanted to take a moment to tell you what I am thankful for, despite - or inspite - of my circumstances:

1. For the best husband a girl could get! I stand amazed at God's gracious gift of Mike to me. Funny, I thought I picked him for myself . . . but it was all ordained in God's great plan that the quirky 17 year-old I fell in love with would turn into the most selfless, giving, serving, loving husband ever! You have no idea what is in store for you when you exchange those vows - but God does!

2. For my family. If you know me at all, you know I'm a ME DO IT kind of person, thus my nickname - INDEPENDENT GIRL! I'm always on the go, and I rarely take the time to stop and smell the flowers. Well . . . I'm completely stopped and the flowers are beautiful! My girls are amazing! They've been so compassionate, and their prayers for me have brought me to tears (which isn't saying much - I've been crying a lot lately). I've gotten the most beautiful cards and other creations from them, and have truly seen a side to them I haven't seen before! We've raised two incredible little girls! Thank you God!

3. Time - I'm going a little out of my mind, but I've had a lot of time to think and contemplate things.

4. Friends and Family - It is very VERY hard for me to accept help from other people - cuz I'm INDEPENDENT GIRL! However, the meals, offers to watch the kids, offers to clean my toilets, offers of sweet, loving service from people I know well, to those I hardly know! Again, I'm amazed at God's provision for me. I only hope I feel well enough someday to give back the way people are continuing to give to me!

5. Energy - when I finally do feel 100% again (please, Lord, let it be soon!), it will be a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGG time before I take a healthy, energy-filled day for granted again.

6. The sun and weight loss - hey, as long as I'm stuck in the house, exhausted and tired, I might as well be lying in the sun, right? AND, Thanks to the 10 pounds I've lost over the last 2 weeks, the two-piece doesn't look as bad as it once did! I may not be able to do anything . . . but I'll be tan not doing it . . .

7. Prayer - I've always struggled with prayer - how to pray - what to pray . . . and that certainly hasn't changed in the last few weeks, but I am ever so grateful, for those friends and family that have been diligent to pray my family through this tough time! I know God hears and answers our prayers! Keep praying, and know that with all this extra time on my hands, I've been praying a lot more - for all of you! I've actually taken time to petition God on your behalves in ways that I've been too busy to do before! I thank God for all of you!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Tan, skinny, and tired. 2 out of 3 don't sound too bad! =)

Hang in there. It must be some nasty & LONG virus.

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry that you don't have any answers yet. I can't even imagine how tough this has been! We'll continue to pray for full health again soon!

Anonymous said...

Sonny, we're praying for you. You WILL be better soon.

Greg and Katharine

shellbell said...

i love you, Sonny...am praying for you daily!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sonny,

I know how frustrating this must be, to have illness slow you down. We're thinking of you and keeping you, Mike and the girls in our prayers. Faith is what helps us through these perplexing times--we hope you are back to your normal, energetic self very soon!