Friday, June 08, 2007

Leftovers

Like most of you, I make a few nice meals each week. We eat like kings and have plenty leftover to take to work, and eat throughout the week . . . but do we?

Mike ends up going out for lunch several times a week for business, so he rarely takes a lunch along. I do eat leftovers, however, I won't touch them after they're a couple days old. I rely on Mike (with his 5-7 day-old rule) to do his fair share and eat the leftovers . . . but that doesn't always happen. So, what we're left with is several containers in our fridge, full of moldy food that neither Mike nor I take the time to dispose of (simply because we hope that the other person will see it and take care of it).

So, after about a month, Mike gets tired of seeing all the miscellaneous containers in the fridge, and he is kind enough to set the them all on the counter. He doesn't empty the containers (usually), mind you, he just sets them on the counter. So, whatever food wasn't rancid quickly becomes nasty! And the stuff that was nasty to begin with becomes even nastier! It's bad enough to empty out refrigerated rotten food . . . but much worse to empty out rotten food that's been sitting on your counter for a day.

You'd think we'd just eat the food in a timely manner! Wouldn't that be the stewardly thing to do? Do any of you struggle with this - or is it just me?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Struggle with it I do!

Dan does NOT do leftovers. My only solution is either not make so much, or toss it after the meal, shhhh, don't tell.

The things I never remove from my frig? Sour cream, Salad dressing, old syrups and grossest of all old celery.

fear not, you are not alone in this.

Anonymous said...

This is not a regular battle in our house actually. Although, I can not claim the responsibility for this, unless it is leftover dessert!

Matt is a CHAMP in the leftover department. I rarely, if ever, have to worry about things going rotten. Just the occasional, and I do mean occasional, forgotten fresh fruit or vegetable.

I think it all has something to do with being 1 of 9 children! It certainly isn't because of my irresistable cooking.

Anonymous said...

Brent will eat leftover meat but any kind of casserole dish is out of the question!

...Don't feel so bad. I have even occasionally thrown away a tuperware or two because the mold was so overwhelming!

tami said...

Rob will eat leftovers, I am not a big fan. I don't clean them out because I know that Rob will eventually take care of them, in my mind it's now his job. Isn't that nice of me?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sony, it's me Gina from your Mom's work.
If I may comment on this entry of yours. I have to say I and my husband Ron do the same thing. But I tell him if he doesn't eat it he has to get rid of it. I don't do well with the smell of old old and even older frigerated food.