va.ca.tion
1. A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation.
stress.a.tion
6. A period of time devoted to a mentally or emotionally disruptive or disquieting influence.
Ok, I have just returned from a vacation - but in many ways it felt more like a stress-ation.
Mike, the kids and I headed off for his parent's cottage for a whole week . . . the weather was good most of the time and the kids had a blast but, unfortunately I didn't come home feeling full of pleasure, rest and relaxation - as the definition of vacation would suggest.
Being on vacation is just as much work as normal life when you bring the kids along (if not more). I still had to prepare meals, clean poopy diapers, and wash sand out of every crevas. Even my favorite past-time of laying in the sun was tainted a bit by always being on edge fearing that Bella might fall in the water or wander away somewhere, or by Faith "accidentally" flipping sand on me while she played on the beach.
I also had the joy of having to take work with me - which I knew ahead of time - but truly sucked! Working entailed having to type documents and then having to track down wireless so I could send them via email. It sounds like a simple process - but ended up taking me over two hours due to some issues with my computer/the wireless server. If I wasn't cranky enough about having to work in the first place . . . taking 110 minutes longer than it should have really got me riled up . . . and THEN I had to face the rath of my husband who was ticked - which led into a lovely "discussion" about how my job is ruining our family. He hates my job many times as it is . . . but he really hates it when it disrupts our vacation. I certainly don't blame him - I hated that it disrupted our vacation too!
Let me tell you - it was really relaxing and enjoyable - NOT!
Ok, so it all didn't stink . . . I did get to drink some Pina Colada's and play a little Mexican Train (a domino game) with my husband until midnight every night (when we weren't fighting) . . . and I did get to sleep in a bit . . . and I did get some quality time with my family.
I suppose I need to see the glass half-full.
Oh well! Maybe next year's vacation will actually be a vacation! Here's hoping!
2 comments:
And you got to enjoy the company of myself on Sunday, truly the highlight of your week! :) Hang in there!
HI Sonny...I came across your blog on Michelle's blog and read this one and had to comment. Kids do not equal vacation! I took Kayden out to eat the other night for a "relaxing" meal which consisted of him throwing his truck five times(at people none the less), spilling the water twice, throwing food, standing on the high chair three times. After an hour, I was more pent up than before dinner! Next year don't take the kids, ha ha. Here's hoping your life slows down a bit although it doesn't seem likely with all the new stuff at church. Just remember one very important word: NO. It sure is hard to say it though, isn't it?
Post a Comment