Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cool Post-Holiday Tradition

Prior to Christmas I heard of a neat post-holiday idea, and thought I'd share.

Each year my family receives 50+ Christmas cards and pictures of many of our friends, families and acquaintances. In the month of December, they are hung throughout my kitchen on the cabinets. When the season comes to an end, however, I start to get overwhelmed by the Christmas clutter, and have to take them down.

But this year, instead of putting them in a box somewhere, or tossing them, I've added them to the basket that sits in the center of the dining room table. Now each night, after our dinner devotions, I let one of the girls choose a picture and we pray for that family.



It's been a neat opportunity to think outside ourselves, and pray for those who have become a special part of our lives. We also get the chance to talk about how we know them, where they live (we may even pull out a globe and find the state or country), and some things that are special about them. So, if we received a card from you, know that you'll be in our prayers! If not, send us a pic and we'll add you to the list!

By the way, this particular card is a sample from YouTopia Designs. My friend, Steph, makes beautiful cards and announcements! Check it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that idea! I am with you. I absolutely cannot handle the clutter, but I never know what to do with all the great cards we receive. Now I do! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to put that into pratice...I kept all my cards/photos...glad i did!

MiniMe Mom said...

I was thinking, "that is not the Reynolds family"...


We do this same thing- actually we put ours in a cheapy photo folder from Meijers, and flip through each day to a new family. The friend that clued me in to the card idea actually sends a postcard to the family they prayed for with all eight kids signatures letting them know they prayed for them. Pretty cool.