Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Compromise for 2007

So sorry I haven't posted and entry in a while! I've been so busy fulfilling my compromised 2007 resolutions that I haven't had time to post!

That's right, I compromised . . . I re-resolved . . . I called a do-over.

The getting up early thing is just too hard for me. Call me a slacker, call me a quitter, call me lazy, call me what you will . . . but I decided that if I'm truly going to keep my New Year's Resolution, it has to be realistic.

RESOLUTION 1 - BE AN EARLY RISER
Instead of getting up a full hour earlier than my girls, I have compromised at somewhere between 15 minutes and a half of an hour. This is working for me! Even though it doesn't seem like a whole lot of extra time, it's still 15-30 minutes more "me time" than I had been getting. It allows me to shower - or NOT shower - and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee as I do my devotions. This goal certainly doesn't give me the status of the Proverbs 31 woman . . . but I'm closer than I was - that's saying something, isn't it?

RESOLUTION 2 - DO DEVOTIONS CONSISTANTLY
I have committed to reading the New Testament all the way through this year! Now I know that it isn't as cool of an accomplishment as reading the entire Bible in a year, but, like my first resolution, it is doable. If I happen to skip a day or two, it is much easier to make up the one chapter a day than the 5 chapters a day. That's what did me in last year when I tried to do the whole Bible! Plus, now I have the weekends off (which is what I skipped most last year, and it put me like 10 books behind - not chapters - BOOKS). In addition to the simplicity of this task, I now have a stellar group of girls that have the same goal, and will work to keep me accountable (and hopefully I'll keep them accountable too! - Thanks girls!)

RESOLUTION 3 - GET OFF MY LAZY BUTT AND EXERCISE
Ok, I'm one of those fortunate women that has a pretty good metabolism. I can eat pretty much anything I want, not exercise, and still maintain my size 8 status. However, I am a flabby, tired size 8.

My husband has lost 20 lbs since October just as a result of running, watching his portion sizes and drinking lots of water . . . the transformation is amazing (hubba hubba). Since October, I've been sitting on the couch eating my ice cream, banket, and other sweet treats as I wish him farwell on his runs. "Have fun on your run honey! I'll just sit here and eat!"

Well, he has inspired me to greatness yet again. I have purchased the running shoes and sports bra and have been running every day except Sundays. I'm amazed at how much better I feel already! Hopefully I'll be a firm, six-packed size 8 by the time my sister's wedding rolls around in June.

Anyway, so far so good! I am holding strong to the revised plan, and I hope you all will hold me accountable to it! How are you doing on your resolutions?

2 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

I'm with you for the New Testament reading.

I should be with you on the exercise. I, too, have a high metabolism, but one of my main food groups is chocolate. Moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips applies here.

Michelle said...

Woo hoo Sonny! Way to go! Looking forward to being encouraged to do the same. Alli's double ear infections have been challenging me a little extra right now. The bed feels really, really, really good right now.