Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Homing Pigeon?

Last night I needed to get something out of my van . . . and when I opened the door to our garage, this is what I saw. I may have let out some sort of "Ahh!" thinking it may fly directly into my house and then quickly shut the door. I called Mike and the girls to the door to take a look, and they had the same reaction.

I thought it was a mourning dove . . . but Mike saw the bands on it's ankle and informed me that we had a homing pigeon!

We went online to try to find some information or leads on where it came from, but came up empty handed! So, Mike and the girls put together a make shift cage, got some water and rice for it to eat, and it stayed in our house last night. Faith has affectionately named it pijjy.

I made some calls this morning, and what I found was that most people who own homing pigeons, don't want the lost ones returned because they went off course and, therefore, are useless. I was told I could keep it if I want . . .

So, Mike and I are working on training it to deliver mail, so we don't have to buy stamps anymore. If you end up seeing a really cute pigeon by your door with a letter attached to it's ankle . . . it's from us. Just make sure you send it home after you've received your note.

2 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

That is crazy. Do you know- are they really messy?

Sonny Huisman said...

Let me tell ya, we only had Pijjy for 36 hours, and there was A LOT of poop! We just put a paper towel in the bottom of his make-shift cage, and changed it often.

As cute as Pijjy was, and as much as Faith and Bella "loved" it, I'm glad we didn't keep it!

Faith shed some tears, however. Such a tender heart!