Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Resolutions


Ok, it's that time of year again where we get all pumped up to make positive changes in our day to day lives. Well, if you're anything like me, these changes occur with quite a bit of frequency in January, are pretty well kept up with in February, but by the end of March, they're caput! My sister-in-law Chelle, said it well here.

So how is it that we are supposed to actually uphold our end of the deal - how do we make sure that we can be successful in what we set out to acheive.

The experts say to pick one thing you can really put your heart and soul into, and go for it! They say you're more likely to succeed if you do one thing, and do it to the full! They also say to get some accountability.

So, here's the deal . . . the one thing I need to work on is discipline. Unfortunately, I need discipline in a LOT of different areas: finances, food, exercise, devotions, not procrastinating . . .
I realize though that the one thing that would make a difference in most of these areas is getting my behind out of bed early.

I HATE getting out of bed . . . I really really hate it! I LOVE sleeping, I love just laying in my bed. I'm an adult now, so there's no-one to tell me to get out of bed - no-one to yank off my covers and turn on the lights - no-one to pull on my big toes until I get up (remember doing that, Dad?). And, it's soooooo easy to hit the snooze 5 or 6 times . . . I do have Mike, but he learned early on not to mess with me in the morning, so he has gracefully bowed out of waking me up - EVER!

So my one resolution (which I've tried to do several different times to no avail) is to get up at least an hour before my girls need to get up. That means 6:30a on M, W, F and 7:00 any other day. I will permit myself Saturdays to "sleep in" until the girls wake up.

I know doing this one thing will help me be more chipper and calm when the girls wake up, it will give me time to exercise, do devotions and shower before they're awake, and it will lessen the mornings we have to rush around to try to make it to wherever we're going on time.

I realize this one thing will help in so many areas of my life, so why is it so hard?

My friend Michelle is struggling to do the same thing . . . check out her comments.

So, for the accountability . . . Mike refuses to help . . . so, who can I count on to help me?

1 comment:

MiniMe Mom said...

I am on the opposite end. I cannot get to bed on time. I save devotions for last and end up doing them late night and fall asleep while praying. All you hot mamas get up so early!