Monday, January 22, 2007

Do I have eyes in my heart?

Last night as we were getting the girls ready for bed, the radio was on. The song was, "Open The Eyes Of My Heart". I wasn't even really paying attention until Faith asked, "Do we have eyes in our hearts, Mom?"

Isn't it amazing the verbage we take for granted as adults? There are so many confusing things that we say in regards to our faith, it's a wonder our kids ever get it! Here's jus a couple of confusing things I've talked about with Faith - in a bulleted list - in honor of Dana.

  • Have you asked Jesus into your heart? - I can see that this could be a bit confusing . . .
  • Open the eyes of my heart - how do you explain that one to a 4-year-old?
  • Washed in the blood of Jesus - doesn't this sound disgusting?
  • How can God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all be the same person? - I've always tried to explain this one by saying that I'm a mom, a sister and a daughter . . . but I'm the same person. I have different roles, but still am 1 person.
  • Our souls go to heaven, but not our bodies . . . until Jesus comes back, and then our bodies will be raised and be new . . . confusing for adults, much less children. "What about the babies that died in your tummy? They didn't have bodies yet?"

I can see why the statistics out there point to the fact that 80% of the people who come to Christ, do so as children between the ages of 5-12 . . . beyond that, I think people need to rationalize their faith - they need to have specific answers to unanswerable quesitons before they'll commit. Kids don't need to rationalize . . . they just believe it!

Isn't childlike faith amazing?

What crazy questions have your kids asked?

1 comment:

Dana said...

Lovely list. Just lovely.
I'm tickled by all the lists that are sprouting up in Blogsville.