Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

Sorry about the lack of blogging over the last week! You all were getting used to me posting everyday, weren't you?

We had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend . . . as I'm sure all of you did. However we had the added bonus of celebrating 12 years of marriage over the weekend! 12 years!

Boy, in some ways it seems like yesterday that we were "tying the knot" - and yet, I can barely remember a time before Mike. I was 16 when we started dating. We dated for 4 years and have been married for 12. . . which means I have been with Mike for HALF OF MY LIFE! Yikes!



Just look at us! We were just kids - 20 and 21 - clueless and in love. Don't you love the poofy sleeves? Man oh man I thought I had the most beautiful wedding dress EVER! Poofy, sparkley dresses were all the rage in 1995. Now they're all elegant and sleek and timeless. But I digress . . .

Back to 12 years of married bliss!

I feel like Mike and I have lived more life - and experienced more ups and downs in 12 years, than most people do in a lifetime! Yet, every day - EVERY SINGLE DAY - is better than the one before it. No, we don't always have the mushy, gushy feelings we had toward each other on our wedding day, but our love has grown to be a comfy, stable, safe, mature (OK, sort of mature) love.

When we were dating, and actually, regularly went out on dates, I used to feel bad for the "old married people" sitting at the table next to us - not talking. Now I understand that sometimes silence is nice - sometimes, silence can be comfortable - sometimes it's nice to not have to say anything, yet know the person sitting across from you "just knows" what you're thinking.

I absolutely love being married to Mike! I love God's provision for me through him. I couldn't have known at 16 what I would need 16 years down the line . . . I couldn't have known about all of the trials that would change us and grow us . . . but God did! He knew just who we would be today, and just how perfect we would be for each other TODAY. It gives me confidence that 12 years from now, we'll be just as perfect for each other!

Thanks, Mike, for 12 amazing years! I love you with all of my heart! I need you each and everyday! You are the love of my life. I would marry you all over again in a heartbeat! Trust. Love. Respect. Forever.

Let's just hope the next 12 years are less eventful than the last 12!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy 12th guys!
What a beautiful post today, Church Lady, your marriage is truly inspirational.

Sonny Huisman said...

What can I say? God is good!